What do Dancers do?
Perform dances. May perform on stage, for on-air broadcasting, or for video recording.
- Train, exercise, and attend dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
- Study and practice dance moves required in roles.
- Harmonize body movements to rhythm of musical accompaniment.
- Perform classical, modern, or acrobatic dances in productions, expressing stories, rhythm, and sound with their bodies.
- Collaborate with choreographers in order to refine or modify dance steps.
- Coordinate dancing with that of partners or dance ensembles.
- Attend costume fittings, photography sessions, and makeup calls associated with dance performances.
- Audition for dance roles or for membership in dance companies.
- Develop self-understanding of physical capabilities and limitations, and choose dance styles accordingly.
- Monitor the field of dance to remain aware of current trends and innovations.
- Teach dance students.
- Devise and choreograph dance for self or others.
- Perform in productions, singing or acting in addition to dancing, if required.
Related Jobs (Dancers)