What do Radio, Cellular, and Tower Equipment Installers and Repairers do?
Repair, install or maintain mobile or stationary radio transmitting, broadcasting, and receiving equipment, and two-way radio communications systems used in cellular telecommunications, mobile broadband, ship-to-shore, aircraft-to-ground communications, and radio equipment in service and emergency vehicles. May test and analyze network coverage.
- Assemble or erect communications towers, using construction or rigging equipment.
- Bolt equipment into place, using hand or power tools.
- Check antenna positioning to ensure specified azimuths or mechanical tilts and adjust as necessary.
- Climb communication towers to install, replace, or repair antennas or auxiliary equipment used to transmit and receive radio waves.
- Inspect completed work to ensure all hardware is tight, antennas are level, hangers are properly fastened, proper support is in place, or adequate weather proofing has been installed.
- Install all necessary transmission equipment components, including antennas or antenna mounts, surge arrestors, transmission lines, connectors, or tower-mounted amplifiers (TMAs).
- Install or repair tower lighting components, including strobes, beacons, or lighting controllers.
- Install, connect, or test underground or aboveground grounding systems.
- Lift equipment into position, using cranes and rigging tools or equipment such as gin poles.
- Perform maintenance or repair work on existing tower equipment, using hand or power tools.
- Read work orders, blueprints, plans, datasheets or site drawings to determine work to be done.
- Replace existing antennas with new antennas as directed.
- Run appropriate power, ground, or coaxial cables.
- Test operation of tower transmission components, using sweep testing tools or software.
- Climb towers to access components, using safety equipment, such as full-body harnesses.
- Complete reports related to project status, progress, or other work details, using computer software.
- Locate tower sites where work is to be performed, using mapping software.
- Take site survey photos or photos of work performed, using digital cameras.
- Transport equipment to work sites, using utility trucks and equipment trailers.
Related Jobs (Radio, Cellular, and Tower Equipment Installers and Repairers)